We all have bad habits that sometimes get in the way of progression and development in not only a personal capacity but in business too. But what if there was a practical way to break those old habits and find a new path? There is and they’ve been dubbed “Atomic Habits” by best-selling author, James Clear. His book provides practical strategies for building good habits and breaking unproductive ones by focusing on the idea that small, incremental changes can lead to significant improvements over time and offering a framework for creating and maintaining positive habits.
The principles outlined in the book can be applied to all aspects of life, including your eCommerce business and digital marketing efforts. Below we have summarised the key principles from “Atomic Habits” that you can apply to your digital marketing strategy to boost online sales.
1. Start with Small Habits
The first recommendation the book makes is to always start small by introducing manageable changes slowly. This doesn’t only apply to personal habits but to those of your eCommerce store as well.
For example, instead of trying to increase your sales by 50%, start with a target of increasing them by 5% within a specific time frame. This may seem like a small number but it will add up over time. Once you have achieved a 5% increase in sales, set a new goal - like 10% - and work towards achieving it next.
Don’t believe us? Take the world’s biggest eCommerce store, Amazon as an example. Back in 1995, they started small by only selling books online, and only once they began to grow did they expand their product offering. Had they gone too big too soon, the world would not have been ready for an online retailer of that scale.
2. Create a System
All successful businesses have systems in place that help things run smoothly and automate certain repetitive tasks. In an eCommerce business, your systems include:
Setting up a user-friendly website
Optimising your checkout process
Providing excellent customer service
Setting budgets and staying on top of expenses
Planning and implementing a marketing strategy
An example of a business that has perfected its systems is without a doubt Apple. Apple offers customers a user-friendly website and streamlined checkout process, creating a seamless experience for their customers that keeps them coming back and loyal to the brand.
3. Focus on Continuous Improvement
This includes optimising their website for search engines, working on exciting social media campaigns, and creating valuable content that is likely to be shared. By focusing on continuous improvement, eCommerce businesses can stay ahead of the competition and attract more customers.
Nike, a top-performing eCommerce business regularly release new products, collaborates with influencers and athletes, and creates engaging content that keeps their customers captivated and excited about their brand.
4. Use Data to Make Decisions
Online businesses need to use data to make informed decisions about their digital marketing efforts to determine whether their marketing investments are paying off. This includes tracking website traffic, analysing customer behaviour, and monitoring sales data. By using data to make decisions, businesses can swiftly make changes that will have a positive impact on their online sales or prevent wasting money on redundant ad campaigns.
Netflix uses data to make informed decisions about what content to produce and how to market it. By analysing user data and behaviour, they can make changes to their platform and offer relevant content that improves user experience and ultimately leads to more subscribers.
5. Stay Consistent
If you hope to be more successful with your digital marketing efforts, you need to stay consistent. This means posting regularly on social media, sending out frequent email newsletters, and updating website content as often as possible. By staying consistent and relevant, businesses can build a strong online presence and attract more customers, which will hopefully lead to more sales.
Coca-Cola has stayed consistent in its branding and marketing efforts throughout its 100+ years in business. Their iconic red and white branding, catchy jingles, and core messaging have remained consistent over the years, helping to build a strong brand identity and attract loyal customers.
While we have merely scraped the surface of what “Atomic Habits” dives into, we hope it’s given you some insight into how to apply these highly effective principles to your eCommerce business and marketing strategy. By making slow and steady changes, remaining consistent, and making data-driven decisions, you are in a much better position to stay one step ahead of your competitors and drive sales.